Tuesday, 25 March 2014

three years, eighteen days


Hi, so I'm back sooner than expected/planned but last night I suddenly realised that I missed this blog's 3rd birthday. I usually do an official 'birthday post' so here it is, albeit 18 days late.

THREE YEARS
The Number 3 is considered to be feminine and introvert and relates to the planet Jupiter.  The Tarot card representative of the 3 energy is The Empress.





















































My influences throughout the years of keeping this here blog have been many and varied.

2011: As my first post demonstrates, Chanel was (and still is) a big inspiration to me. Her rags to riches life story is a perfect example of how hard work can get you what you want. She really had to work for Chanel as a brand to gain the prestige that it still holds onto today. Chanel was also one of the first women to front a world famous luxury brand. 2011 was also the year the first year that I bought 12 issues of Vogue, one every month. I still buy Vogue every month, although my favourite magazine is now i-D. I was obsessed with Derek Blasberg and his book 'Classy.' I admire Derek Blasberg still as his career and lifestyle is so desirable. However, I now recognise that a lot of 'Classy' had slut-shaming undertones. 2011 was the year of the royal wedding, which I wrote a significant amount about. I now, however, take the viewpoint that the royal family are fatuous and I am definitely a republican. In September I started reading Rookie, having been reading Tavi's blog for a while. I took some terribly blurry outfit photos on my phone, wrote about people who inspired me (Coco Chanel, Winston Churchill, Anna Wintour, JK Rowling, Kate Moss, Karl Lagerfeld, Lily Allen, James Dean, Gwyneth Paltrow), analysed fashion from television shows, wrote a lot about festival fashion (having never in my life been to a festival) and reviewed other blogs that I had been reading; mostly famous personal style blogs like Fashion Toast and The Chic Muse.

2012: This was the year that I became a more active member of the Independent Fashion Bloggers' community. I submitted many a post to Links a la Mode and was successful on a few occasions. I was obsessed with everything to do with the Titanic around April time given that it was the 100th anniversary of the maritime disaster. I stole titles from Vogue.co.uk articles that I got sent in the email newsletter every week and used them to generate my own ideas for blog posts. I became seriously addicted to tumblr and I still am ~le sigh.

2013: I discovered the music of The Smiths and Morrissey and began to reference them a lot in many of my posts. I also read 'On The Road' and 'Howl' and became obsessed with beat literature. I finally visited the original Chanel boutique underneath Chanel's apartment on rue Cambon and I saw a Meadham Kirchhoff show/event at the V&A. My main style icons were Edie Sedgwick and Alexa Chung.

Since I've had this blog the main people/things that have influenced me overall are Coco Chanel, Tavi Gevinson, Morrissey, Rookie, the 1920s, the beat generation, Coco Before Chanel, Donnie Darko, The Virgin Suicides and Brighton Rock.






MOMENTS OF STRANGE MAGIC

Since Tavi shared the fact that she keeps a page at the back of her journals to note down 'Moments of Strange Magic' (named after the ELO song 'Strange Magic' played at the homecoming dance in The Virgin Suicides), I have been doing the same. They are split into 'Reality' and 'Fantasy.' I also have a 'Dreams' section about subconscious dreams I have whilst asleep but most of them are too weird to release into public domain. I have selected 7 'Reality' and 7 'Fantasy' moments of strange magic that have happened over the past year.

REALITY:
The reality moments tend to be times where I generally felt at peace with the world. Some of the ones that I haven't included are just descriptions of reading/listening to music in the bath, dancing in my bedroom, listening to the perfect song at the perfect moment but I have generally selected the more interesting ones here.

Getting drunk and playing records and talking about most things I've ever wanted to talk about with Ciara.

Dancing close to Patti Smith whilst she sings 'People Have The Power' in a Church in Brighton.

Watching Meadham Kirchhoff: Fashion In Motion in a beautiful room in the V&A where the walls are covered in tapestries.

Sitting on a step with Molly, Maya and Avalon in Chinatown eating vegetable dumplings.

Sneaking out in the middle of the night to talk with Antonio.

Standing at the front of the JAWS concert and stroking the bassist's arm then getting a photo on Callie's camera with the cute boy who was there.

Sitting in a classroom at school with classical music playing in the background and watching everyone interact and acknowledging their expressions and reactions and feeling like we are all in a film.

Walking round the park on the sunniest day of the year so far listening to Laura Marling and Pulp whilst drinking a fruity Starbucks drink.

FANTASY:
The fantasies are the stocked up thoughts that I resort to in a particularly tedious lesson at school or if I am feeling sad.

Driving down palm tree lined roads in California with Lana Del Rey in a pale pink 1960s convertible. Drinking coke out of glass bottles. Wearing heart shaped sunglasses. Old fashioned service stations. Spinning round in bare feet on desert sand.

Stepping off a yacht in St. Barths dressed in designer clothes featured in Vogue. Blue skies. Champagne under the stars. White villas.

Sitting round a record player in my bedroom and getting drunk with some close friends. Just sitting and listening to the music.

Lying in the grass in a sundress making daisy chains. Listening to a plastic battery operated record player.

Styling my hair into a hot pink quiff, safety pins everywhere. Chilling at the side of the road blasting The Sex Pistols with a group of punks on skateboards.

Working at a bookstore in Brighton. Cycling to work on a vintage bicycle with a basket on it everyday.

Living in an apartment in London with loads of artsy people and writing for a living. Trying out loads of cool and interesting hairstyles at the hairdressers that Olivia works at. Going to lots of concerts.

Here's to another three years and eighteen days xo

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Being a relatively new (and clueless) blogger, this was really interesting to read about! And I love the strange magic idea! I do a similar thing, but I usually describe the moment as a poem or art piece instead of words xx
    http://rollerskag.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://hellopookie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you <3 I LOVE your new blog so much omg xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you! I still haven't really sorted out the aesthetics but it's nice to have something a bit more professional (I'm going to properly explain why I made it as soon as I've finished the design) xxx

      Delete
  3. i love this! ! ! ! ! so gorgeous.
    http://ladyskool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...