Wednesday, 26 November 2014

winter looks

If you live in England, it goes without saying that it has started to get colder, as it has done in a number of other areas around the world because (duh) it's winter. Each year I struggle to put together outfits that keep me warm and look more creative than simply a heavy coat, tights and boots which is what my daily uniform looks like once I've added layer after layer until I stop shivering. I have quite a variety of jumpers, but it still doesn't seem enough (HELLO AMERICAN APPAREL HAUL) to be able to wear a different jumper everyday without frequent repetition. In this post I'm going to moan about what a pain it is to get dressed in winter whilst providing images of runway inspiration from the Autumn/Winter 2014-15 collections for doing winter well.


Alexander Wang: the boots just look soooo comfy and warm amiright?


Alexis Mabille: so pretty and feminine. Capes are a stylish alternative to jackets, though you would probably still need to wear a warm top underneath.

Although there is a practical part of me that knows that it is winter, there's nothing I can do about it and I just need to dress for the weather, there's another part of me that wants to wear crop tops (I wore one today and it was foggy and rainy all day) and refuse to acknowledge the temperature. However, funnily enough, that becomes impossible to do once I actually move away from the radiator in my bedroom and realise I have to leave the house. An icy wind on the back of your neck tends to wake you up from any summertime fantasies you may be entertaining in your mind


Altuzurra: the jackets look really cozy


Altuzurra and Christian Dior: silky materials underneath jackets and coats always look sssexy

Unlike autumn, where layering is fun and creative, you almost always have to ultimately go with a winter coat that covers up any gorgeous outfit you have arranged underneath. If, like me, you're an idiot who decides to wear a cropped t-shirt at the end of November, you will either have to add a scarf and jacket or resign to wearing a jumper. However, wearing eye catching materials that are still warm means that you can have your coat open and show off what you're wearing underneath.


Christian Dior: all hail the trouser suit.


Christian Dior: Christmas looks and Comme des Garcons: I bet it's so snug that you feel like you're walking round in your duvet.

So, what do you do when stuck in this kind of style rut? Look at the Fall/Winter 2014-15 collections of course. I mean, that's what they're there for, unless you're part of the super rich who can actually afford to buy runway looks because in that case they're clearly for buying instead of drooling over. I always forget about the AW collections because I'm so preoccupied with thinking about/looking at the much more recent Spring/Summer shows and trying to be oh-so fashion forward. However, seasons are seasons for a reason (look at that killer rhyme there!) and, at the end of November, a faux fur coat just might be more weather appropriate than a skimpy floral sun dress.


Comme des Garcons


Comme Des Garcons

Comme des Garcons' AW14 collection might look like a series of exaggerated version of winter looks, but Kawakubo has actually hit the nail on the head in regards to how I feel like dressing on cold, dark November mornings. I usually get to frustrated that I just grab a jumper and feel like walking round with it over my head, both to hide my tired/pissed off face and keep my head warm.


Givenchy- 1970s vibes


Hermes

Hermes was so simplistic but so effective. Every look is sophisticated and easy to pull off. Faux fur gilets are so chic and knee-length ones make an even bigger statement. Invest! Invest! Suit trousers in an array of shades will also never go out of fashion.


Hermes


Burberry Prorsum: this is the way to wear scarves this season: hanging loose and tied round the waist with a complimentary belt.

When the winter mornings are so dark and you don't feel like getting out of bed until late, it can be useful to plan outfits the evening before. That seems like a patronisingly nerdy, practical "tip" but I find it useful to at least have some vague plan of what I'm going to wear the next day. It also gives me something to look forward to. Even if my day looks as though it'll be boring or worse, an on point outfit gives me a reason to get out of bed. Besides, you never want to hear anyone say that "you look like you got dressed in the dark" (even if you feel like shouting OF COURSE I DID. EVERY MORNING IS DARK. IT'S NOVEMBER.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...