Saturday, 6 December 2014

i want a love that falls as fast as a body from the balcony








I've really given in to wintry vibes this week. Dark colours, warm coats, chunky boots and the like. I've also started to embrace the festivity of this month. There is a constant buzz of people complaining about how they don't feel christmassy, but last year it really hit me that I can't expect it to be the same as it was when I was five years old because I'm not the same as I was five years old. So, I've decided to reinvent my attitude towards Christmas in a more "adult" way. Don't ask me what that entails because I haven't figured that out yet, but to start with I'm having a festive party tonight and we've got Christmas crisps, mince pies, decorations and the least cheesy of the Christmas music. It helps that I volunteer at the library running craft sessions with young, excited children. Hopefully some of the magic that they feel will reflect onto me.


I've been listening to Lykke Li a lot today. She is so magical. See, already that's something I can add to my "make Christmas magical but don't expect it to be as magical as it used to be" agenda. 



I watched a TED talk on introversion at school last week. It was really interesting and helped me to understand more about myself as an introvert and those around me who fall at various points across the introvert/extrovert spectrum. There's a lot of snobbery around the two "types." Lots of people who also watched it started bragging about being an introvert but life would be so boring if everyone was introverted. Besides, society tends to view extroversion as the more desirable state hence the emphasis on group work at school and team work in a number of office jobs. There's not much you can do to change who you are so just embrace and appreciate your intro/extro/amniversion









I've been looking at a lot of Jenny Holzer's "Projections." Below are some of my favourites.






I don't have a copy of the December issue of W Magazine but I saw a photograph from the Tim Walker shoot with Tilda Swinton on Twitter and knew that I had to see more. Fortunately, the whole ethereal shoot is on the W Magazine website. These are my favourite shots.






Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Christmas definitely is different as we grow up, for me creating the magic for others is what makes it the most magical. Decorating everything and seeing big smiles on my family member's faces as they come in, discover the food and gifts I have for them, it makes it all so lovely.
    I really like your outfit in this post ! You look so chic !

    Charlie xx
    http://charlieleschroniques.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wish that there were more young children in my family around Christmas time. I do love buying the perfect gift though even if I usually leave it to a last minute panic!
      Thank you x

      Delete
  2. love love love everything about this post. Christmas is still one of my favourite things, even though the whole experience has changed so much as I've grown up. <3

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...