Wednesday, 28 January 2015

couture part 1

Valentino


The show was dreamy and fairylike as the models glided along the runway in an ethereal blur of light as a feather iridescent fabric. The look evolved from folkloric maiden to shimmering woodland goddess. The excitement around Valentino’s live stream on their website (at the perfect after school time, might I add) demonstrates what an untarnished reputation for couture Valentino has. The closing gowns epitomised the beauty of haute couture and, looking wistful and delicate, the models tuned into the collection flawlessly. The clothes exude sophistication through their blend of subtle details and exquisite fabrics. The collection is channelling the archetypically breathtaking qualities of couture.



The music, set and models all factor in to the daydream land created by Chiuri and Piccioli. Although the collection does feature some boxy cuts, the floor sweeping gowns feed in to the notion of floating through a pastoral dream, with the velvety and diaphanous materials brushing the model’s feet; giving them the careless and relaxed speed and demeanour of the couture wearer. The clothes steer clear of the florals for spring cliché, but still evoke feelings of the coming season through the earthy tones and light fabrics synonymous with warmer weather. The collection itself was abundant with browns and burgundies, all emphasising a natural beauty. It consisted also of high collars, boxy gilets and ankle grazing midi dresses, introducing a more carefree, practical style. Glamorous glittering gowns and neutral embellished pinafores fitted together seamlessly to create a couture collection at once visionary and classic. 


Valentino was beautiful and cohesive, making it a stand out collection in Spring 2015 couture. Unquestionably, Valentino was a stunning work of art, reminding us all why fashion can be viewed as such. 

Alexis Mabille


I kinda dig these two pieces but the rest of the collection looked very Project Runway. I don't know what's going on with the pink in the hair. I dyed a pink streak into my hair when I was 14. No shade to young teens, but youthful hair experiments and haute couture do not go well together. Other than that, the black (navy?) shimmery maxi is pretty epic.


Atelier Versace


I HAVE BEEN REVIVED.


NATASHA AND LINDSEY KILLING IT: SO SEXY, SLEEK AND STYLISH.




Literally, I REALLY like this collection. It's fabulous, sexy and sophisticated; everything that a good Versace collection should be. My sole criticism is of the bright blue and red dresses. Just because I would love to wear Versace couture to prom, doesn't meant that the collection should include tacky, bright dresses. 

Bouchra Jarrar


These look like outfits I'd wear to school. I like them, but not more high street than high couture. The looks below, however, though still simplistic, have a much more chic and sophisticated vibe.


Chanel


Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking. I love the hats and veils though. I might invest in something along those lines for prom so I don't have to look at anyone all evening.


Armani Prive


1. What is that? A shield? An intergalactic t-shirt? I LIKE IT.
2. Over-sized earrings, 1920s shapes and sparkles. That's all that needs to be said.


3. Boxy jackets make trouser suits glamorous eveningwear.
4. Literally prom dress goals

Christian Dior


I found this collection generally pretty boring, but the details were undeniably pretty. Intricate patterns and shimmery embellishments make it classically couture.


Giambattista Valli


Lovely and pretty and feminine. Pink is powerful and couture should be a beautiful celebration of power.


Schiaparelli


Generally a disappointing collection from Schiaparelli. True to the season, I can imagine wearing these looks at a fancy beach party, but if you can imagine wearing couture to the beach, it's not very couture-esque, is it?

I'm going to sleep now, but will review other couture collections in time to post on Saturday. I haven't mentioned Elie Saab yet because that collection deserves more than a hasty few words. What's your favourite couture collection so far? Have a good week xo

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black Valentino dress is to die for! (P.s I had a typo in my first comment :P)

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...