Wednesday, 7 January 2015

dressing fancy

Iris Apfel
Iris Apfel is the living embodiment of "When I am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple" only she definitely doesn't limit herself to purple. Magazines bombard us with how to age "gracefully", "what to wear in you're in your 60s" (they never seem to cater for women older than that), but Iris Apfel's style is so much more interesting. Her bright, patterned, excessively accessorised looks are ageless. The self-confessed "world's oldest teenager" has even more creativity than she does chunky bangles and I think that makes her the most stylish 93 year-old ever. 


Tavi Gevinson
Tavi Gevinson and Iris Apfel are often put alongside each other as an example of youngest and oldest best dressed people in the fashion industry. Although Tavi has removed the archive from her blog, a simple seach of "Tavi Gevinson's style" retrieves thousands of results. Whether she is sporting a Rei Kawakubo inspired creation or a DIY layered masterpiece, the limits of Tavi's sartorial genius knows no bounds. 


Susie Lau
Susie Lau is one of the original fashion bloggers, starting her blog way back in 2006 when I hardly even remember the internet existing. The way she styles designer pieces is always pleasantly surprising and each new outfit post unveils new unpredictable fashion inventions. Susie is now a genuine fashion celebrity, writing for and featuring in many a fashion magazine and filling the pages of street style blogs all over the world. Her engaging writing style makes her stand out from many other successful fashion bloggers who solely post photos of their outfits and expensive holidays.


Glitterous Clitoris and Secret Hipster
I've been reading Glitterous Clitoris and Secret Hipster for around a year now and their experimental styles and posts always inspire me. I checked Secret Hipster today and in her most recent post Adele sited her influences as nearly every other person in this post. It really does show too. Both hers and Kelly's style fits in seamlessly to the boundlessly cool and kooky looks of the other inspirations here.


Arabelle Sicardi 
Beauty and fashion writer, Rookie contributor, long time friend of Tavi's and general creative, Arabelle's style is independent and individual She draws inspiration from Rei Kawakubo and other Japanese designers to create her signature avant-garde look. Beauty guru and feminist advocate, Arabelle writes intellectually about the links between beauty and feminism, showing how makeup and fashion can be really powerful.


The Leather Fanny Pack 
Raissa from The Leather Fanny Pack always takes beautiful photos of her dreamy outfits. Quite often they are variations of neutral colours with lots of black and whites but styled in such a unique way that just describing them as "black and white" is somewhat insufficient. Her outfits are character inspired fancy dress-esque looks that can create other worlds in that gorgeous aspirational way that fashion can behave in the right hands.


In order to start the new year as I mean to go on, it's time to start dressing more inventively. Dressing well is okay, but dressing individually and expressively is a different and better feeling entirely. This post features all my favourite style icons for sartorial creativity.

1, 2- Karen Mulder and Brandi Quinones backstage at Valentino 1995, 3, 4- Marchesa SS13 and Kate Moss by Rankin for Dazed and Confused, 5, 6- Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe photographed by Judy Linn, 7- Secret Hipster, 8- Junya Watanabe SS04, 9, 10- a region of the sky in the constellation of Sagittarius, 11- The Leather Fanny Pack, 12- Romy Schneider in La Piscine (1969) 

15 comments:

  1. Love this post! You've basically given a run-down on my favourite bloggers! I especially have a love for Arabelle's blog, because she was the one that inspired me to branch out into different ways of dressing.
    - Lillian http://sewoverdressed.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They're all so amazing. Tavi's was the first for me and I found Arabelle's through that. They're both absolute QUEENS x

      Delete
  2. Love all of the style inspo. Fantastic! (:

    ♥ | http://www.connect-the-cloths.com
    http://www.carseyyycakes.tumblr.com | xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was super sweet of you to feature both Kelly and I alongside what are some of my favourite style icons and blogging inspirations! Iris undoubtedly has one of the most positive attitudes about aging and fashion, and Advanced Style also combat this "aging gracefully" notion churned out by weekly fashion rags.
    I often think about my influences when buying a new piece for my wardrobe and whether it fits in with their aesthetic or not as a rough guide for how I want to gradually shift my image.

    fun fact: Susie Bubble originally worked at Dazed & Confused (?) before going it alone and becoming a full-time fashion blogger, hence her incredible sense of self as reflected by her writing style making her well suited as a guest writer and social media mogul for various other fashion publications and designers.

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Advanced Style makes me wish my life away because I really want to be a super cool and stylish granny. My influences move about so often that my wardrobe and style is all over the place but I kind of like that. I wish I was inspired to dress like those in this post more often though. That's really interesting. I didn't know that about Susie. I read a piece she wrote on Meadham Kirchhoff in Pop and that was one of the best pieces of fashion journalism I've ever read x

      Delete
  4. Iris Apfel is my complete life goals! She is so amazing. Also, I had no idea Tavi removed her archive! that's so sad, I loved flicking back to her first posts and seeing how her style evolved. Those pictures of her are amazing, I don't think I've seen them before! <3 <3 I need to get my mojo back with clothes, I've been wearing jumpers and jeans for the last three months....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. And I know I'm literally so upset about Tavi's archive. I used to look through her early posts all the time and now it's such a hassle to find them. I half wanted to contact her and plead for her to put it back up, but I also respect that she's moved on from her blog. R.I.P. Me too, I've become rather lazy lately, hence this post x

      Delete
  5. I've been mourning Tavi's archive! I tried to start by taking screen shots on my phone and continuously clicking 'older post', but I kind of gave up :/.
    In response to your lovely comment on my blog: thank you, and OMG YES I am always rediculously obsessed with Chiara and TBS's hashtags on social media!

    http://www.somewherexelse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to do the exact same thing haha! It was taking too long and using up too much memory though so now I sometimes google "tavi gevinson's blog 2009" or something like that and the link to her posts from 2009 come up xx

      Delete
  6. love everything! great photos :D

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. he he he thanks! it makes me happy to know that somehow i have played a role in inspiring you to find your truest self through clothing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you featured Raissa! She is one of my blogging favorites and a true pleasure to read.

    I had the privilege of meeting Iris two years ago. It was hands down one of the best moments of my life. She is every bit the perfect lady--quiet, pleasant, coiffed. A true inspiration.

    XxMO
    madame-ostrich.com

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...