Monday, 29 June 2015

tennessee why did you write?
















One of my new year's resolutions was to journal more and these past few months I have finally dedicated time to it. My journals have become less disjointed and the images relate to the entries more. This summer I plan on sorting through all my magazines- a mammoth task because I probably have at least 300- and cutting out more images to journal with. During study leave I often stayed up too late journalling to try and de-stress. I found the destruction of cutting up magazines I have so carefully preserved in pristine condition for so long oddly calming. In a way it felt empowering to cut up some of my issues of Vogue with their lack of representation and their beauty and diet tips. I love Vogue but some issues are much better than others. Some of these collages are simply aesthetic because I like looking at pretty things. Others are specifically related to moments in my life. For example, I made the one with the Freaks and Geeks screencaps and Petra Collins' photographs the day after I had my last proper day at school. I love the permanence of journalling; it crystallises romantic moments forever. I plan on documenting as much as possible this summer because it is my last summer of forever

6 comments:

  1. your journal is super cool. i admire that you're creative enough to depict your life through collages in this way. i certainly don't have that kind of creativity haha. you've got a gift here(:

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journal is amazing, these are beautiful! I especially like the pink collage

    x inés
    www.riotsandroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. your journal is awesome! I agree - butchering magazines is such a great way to let off steam. vogue does seem superficial a lot of the time, I used to be an avid reader but now I find even the covers seem generic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i think vogue's content is very unreliable and the covers are nearly always so generic. it's sad because it's such a prestigious magazine and i'd still love to work there, but i think it's only worth getting in september and march (though i've bought every issue since november 2010, but the only reason i've kept getting it is because i don't want a gap in my collection!) x

      Delete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...